Thursday, August 23, 2012

KNOTS OF LOVE


August 21st was a very special day for me.  Besides being my Dad’s birthday – he would have been 107 – it was also the 4th anniversary of my major “debulking” (gruesome word) surgery.  The fact that I survived that surgery at all is a miracle - but that plus the fact that I'm still here 4 years later is due to some awesome people.  As I’ve said so often in my blogs, your team is critical to your survival.  You need to feel SAFE in their care.  Besides the medical professionals, your team also includes your family and friends who hold your hand, shield you from as much as they can, and occasionally stand behind you to give you a good swift kick when you need it.  I needed a lot of those!  I have been blessed with a phenomenal team for the past 4 years.  They have each played a huge part in my journey and I will be forever grateful for each and every one of them. 

Something beautiful and truly amazing has come out of the horrors of the past few years and I wanted to share it with you.  It also involves a “team” – a team of people, some of whom I’ve had the privilege of getting to know very well and some of whom I’ll never meet.  It began weeks before that nightmare on August 21st, 2008. 

I had told a very dear friend in New York that I had been diagnosed with CANCER and asked that she please pray for me.  Unbeknownst to me, she contacted her sister in Ramona, California who belongs to a group called Prayers and Squares – a Prayer Quilt Ministry at Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church.  They put together the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen, saying that “this quilt was made for Kathleen with love, hope, and prayers.”  It was blessed and began its journey to me.   First, however, it made a stop in Pleasantville, NY so my friend could pray over it.  The quilt has threads running through it and the idea is to say a prayer and tie a knot in the threads.  The patch on the quilt tells you that “each knot represents a prayer that was said for you.”  Then it went to Cortlandt Manor, NY where my son and his family also said prayers and tied knots.  Next my daughter and granddaughter in Orlando did the same.  It arrived in time for me to take it to the hospital with me on the day of surgery. 

When the surgery was completed and I was assigned to a room, my quilt was there waiting to cover me with prayers.  It stayed with me, and on me, for my entire stay.  Everyone who came in the room admired it and asked what the knots were for.  As soon as I told them, they all wanted to tie a knot and pray for my recovery.  The most touching moment for me was when my heroic, superhuman surgeon came in said he had heard about the quilt and could he please tie a knot, too. This quilt has covered me during every hospital stay, every chemo session, and many times when I just needed the comforting weight of its hundreds of prayers.  

While I was at home recuperating and trying to fight off nausea, a variety of infections and home health nurses, I began to form an idea.  Besides making my husband very nervous – my ideas usually involve a major project for him – it started to take shape.  Maybe I could really do this – with a lot of help. 

I’ve knitted and crocheted all my life – my family, friends, neighbors, and odd acquaintances will verify that.  I just love to make afghans, shawls, baby blankets, baby sweaters, hot pads, dish cloths, scarves, hats, stuffed animals, doilies, pretty much anything that can be made from yarn.  Since there is just so much two people can use in one house, guess where the overflow went?  That’s right – my family, friends, neighbors, and the odd acquaintances.  I now saw an outlet for these projects.  Shawls and throws could take the place of a quilt and tassels could be added for the knots.  I made two samples and brought them to the pastor of our church in DeLand.  I explained the history of my quilt and told him that I would like to specifically target people in the parish who had recently been diagnosed with a serious illness or were facing a serious physical challenge; people who were frightened by what they were about to face; people who had a chance at a miracle; people who needed extra courage and strength to trust in God’s plan.  His main concern was that once one person received one of our shawls, everyone would want one and we wouldn’t be able to keep up with the demand.  He then promptly asked if he could have my samples.  He said he had just visited two of our parishioners in the hospital that day who fit the criteria perfectly!  
And so, in January of 2010, K nots of L ovea Prayer Shawl Ministry  was born.

I explained to the pastor that I would like to put an ad in the bulletin asking for knitters and crocheters.  I was sure that there must be other women out there whose families were overrun with afghans and scarves and such.  Maybe they would like an outlet for their craft and a chance to use their talent to help others.    Our first meeting was small but highly productive.  We all bought our own yarn in the beginning, now we have many patrons who donate yarn and money for yarn when they can.  When completed, the shawls are blessed, packaged in tissue and a gift bag and enclosed is a letter explaining what it is, how it was made, and the purpose of the tassels and Knots.  We encourage the recipients to ask their family, friends, medical personnel, etc. to say a prayer for them and tie a knot.  

The group has grown and has now taken on the characteristics and importance of a second “team.”  Everyone is using their amazing talents for the good of others.  Our criteria have been modified and our outreach broadened.  We now provide shawls, throws, and chemo caps to six cancer centers, two hospitals, a NICCU unit and a pediatric unit, as well as the parishioners of our parish.   This special “team” has always risen to the challenge Fr. Tom placed upon us.  The supply meets the demand – much like the story of the loaves and the fishes in the Bible.

It’s mind boggling to me to realize that this all began with a call to another special “team” in Ramona, California on my behalf.  My husband’s concerns about my “idea” involving him has come true, but he has never complained.  He helps with the packaging and distribution and has tied thousands of knots in hundreds of shawls.  He takes pride that not one shawl leaves here without his prayers for the recipients. 

As of August 7th, 2012, this talented, compassionate and generous group of women – and a few young men – has made it possible for us to distribute 613 shawls and throws and 214 chemo caps – and we’re still going strong.   God has always been the CEO of this group.  May He continue to put His blessing on the products of our work as well as on the hands that made them!    

               
             Knots of Love are Prayers ~
                   the Prayers are sent to God ~  
                        God gives us miracles in return!  

No comments:

Post a Comment