Wednesday, October 24, 2012

FIRSTS



For some unknown reason, I’ve always been drawn to actress Jamie Lee Curtis.  I’m not sure why.  It’s kind of a superficial attraction I guess – I really don’t know an awful lot about her.  But her look and her demeanor and the few articles I’ve read about her have made me like her.  I know she fought alcoholism; I know she’s been married to the same person for 28 years; I know they’ve raised 2 children; I know that you rarely hear anything negative about her in the news (which is a blessing in itself!) Well, anyhow, I just read an article in Good Housekeeping magazine called “It’s Time For a Change” – about experiencing things for the first time, even our worst fears.  It got me thinking about my own life.  There have been a lot of “firsts” in the last few years – some unpleasant and some awe inspiring, but life-changing events nevertheless.
   
Life was never meant to be static or dormant.  Mine certainly hasn’t been.  Often the changes aren’t voluntary, but we all do change, every day.  Just look in the mirror – or maybe don’t.  Just take my word for it!  Most of us don’t really embrace the changes.  Just ask any beautician, plastic surgeon, cosmetologist, personal trainer – all of whom benefit from our attempt to cling to the past.  Our brains change too!  We don’t necessarily have the same opinions and beliefs we did 30 years ago but, in a way, we still want to stay in that comfort zone.  It becomes more and more difficult for us to try something new.  Well, why not?  It’s taken me 67 years to get to this point; I know what makes me relaxed and serene – and I know what scares the bejubees out of me. 

BUT, life really is about change – trying new things, challenging ourselves.  We encourage our children to do exactly that.  Now it’s time to practice what we preach.  Maybe we’ll find a new strength, or discover a great new hobby, or meet a new best friend.  And maybe we’ll fail miserably – which is okay, too, and not a bad lesson for our kids to learn either. Life will go on – and I’ve decided that mine will go on with lots of new and reawakened FIRSTS!

            MY  BUCKET  LIST  OF  FIRSTS!!!!
  • Writing this blog actually comes under the “reawakened” category.  I’ve always enjoyed writing, but rarely took the time.  It has become a true joy and a discipline I both needed and treasure!

  • Kayaking –  We have tried this once in Abaco, but it was a number of years ago in a quiet blue lagoon – and I was a lot younger.  We’ve decided that we are going to rent kayaks right here in NSB and spend some time on the Indian River Lagoon.  This comes under the “scary” category for me, but I really want to try it. 

  • Growing a Clementine Tree on my balcony.  This may not seem like a big deal, but getting a finicky citrus tree to even survive in the salt air and windy conditions of a 6th floor ocean-front condo would be quite a first for us.  It’s an everyday project but it seems to be thriving against all the odds.  It does have its seasons mixed up though.  It should be ripening its fruit about now, but, instead, it’s just flowering and setting fruit.  Maybe we’ll be eating Clementines in the summer!

  • Church Sacristan – this will definitely be a FIRST.  I’ve been involved in different ways in different churches we’ve belonged to, but this parish is different.  My husband has always been more of a “say a prayer for me at mass” type rather than an actual visitor to the church.  Since we moved here last year, he began coming with me, especially during treatment times.  Now he goes willingly.  The pastor knows us by first names and gives the most interesting homilies.  A few weeks ago, we were approached by the Director of Liturgy and asked if we might have an interest in helping out with the Sacristan duties.  We weren’t quite sure what that involved and I thought Fred would give it a definite “No.”  Well, he didn’t say “No;” we went through a brief training; and we begin our FIRST month of duties in November. 

  • Surf fishing – again another “reawakened” past time, but one that we both enjoy -- yet we have let other things take precedence.  I guess the true FIRST in this endeavor will be giving it the priority it should have.  That will begin next week, as soon as Hurricane Sandy leaves our shore and our surf calms down.

  • Bike Riding on the Beach – this comes under one of the “scary” FIRSTS for me.  I’ve ridden a bike many times in my life, even on a beach once – but I’m not sure if my balance and endurance are up to it.  However, I WILL try it soon and face my fears!  I’m looking forward to it – but, oddly enough, I can’t bring myself to get the bike and just DO IT!!!  I’ll let you know when I do!  I would really love to make it a regular part of my week.

  • Write a book.  I’m not sure what kind or on what subject or if anyone would even read it – but it’s a goal I would love to see through to completion.

  • Be a participant in a clinical trial that helps bring an end to this vile, despicable disease.  Ironically, for many years, I worked in Clinical Research – conducting trials of new drugs for a variety of illnesses.  I even participated in one or two – but never a cancer trial.  That would be a very worthwhile FIRST.  I would truly love to have some brilliant researcher use my diseased tissue or cells to help bring an end to this plague.

 Well, that’s a good start.  I’ll let you know how my list is progressing.  

SURVIVAL TIP FOR TODAY:   Think about how your life is changing.  Are you learning something new every day?  We all need goals – no matter if you’re healthy or ill, young or old.  Challenge yourself!!  I know I intend to – God Help Me!!!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration. Your thoughts and words are an inspiration to all of us who ponder the notion of age, change, trying things for the first time, success or fear of failure and the continuance of an active and meaningful life.

    ReplyDelete