Thursday, April 12, 2012

CHEMO, FLYING FISH, DUCT TAPE – OH MY!


Anyone who has ever seen a drug commercial or read a drug label knows there are potential side effects to everything.  Those of us who have undergone chemotherapy treatment are familiar with the Fact Sheet that the Pharmaceutical company puts out for the specific drug we will be taking.  If you were to compare the two, you would most likely choose the chemotherapy.  A popular, over-the-counter headache remedy has more side effects listed than the atom bomb.  Everything from dry cuticles, to seizures, to sudden death - No joke! 

My Taxotere Fact Sheet shows: Bone marrow depression, Anemia, Numbness and Tingling in fingers and toes, Hair loss, Nausea, Diarrhea, Mouth Sores, Possible Fluid Retention.  Given the two side by side, I’ll take the chemo.  Now I realize that only .0002 percent of the population will get the severe reactions to the headache remedy.  Unfortunately, I’m the one who usually gets the weird stuff – in this case, I would opt for the tingling and fluid retention! 

I know I’m making light of this, but side effects are a fact of life for those pin-cushions among us.  The Fact Sheets are usually pretty accurate and, at least from my experience, you will probably get most of what’s listed.  But it’s what’s not listed that I’d like to talk about today.  

Hair Loss is not an automatic on any chemotherapy drug.  I know people who have never lost their hair – yet the Fact Sheet said they would.  Others have lost it when the drug wasn’t supposed to do that.  Go figure! What interests me is how people deal with it.  The first time, I was absolutely horrified and panic-stricken!  When I saw it on my pillow in the mornings, I just cried.  But, like everything else, you pull yourself up and deal with it.  Lots of people I know have shaved their heads rather than go through the day by day loss.  That seemed so final to me.  I chose to believe that it wouldn’t ALL fall out.  Well, it didn’t ALL fall out.  Exactly 12 Super Hairs, as they became known, survived.  Eyebrows, leg and arm hair, eyelashes – all gone.  12 very gray, very resilient strands remained – and continued to grow – on the top of my head – until the rest came back in, months later.  Everyone I talked to had a friend whose hair grew back red and curly (from straight and black) or the friend whose brother lost his hair and it never came back (thanks for that, by the way!)  Mine grew back exactly as it had been before – and I was eternally grateful. 

The second drug I took left my hair alone.  It had other, more curious side effects.  I’ll save that for another day. This current drug is slowly eliminating my hair – but only the dark ones.  The gray ones are hanging on.  It’s really very bizarre – I have about one-quarter of my former volume, all gray, but obviously tough.  I’m halfway through the treatments and I still have some hair left.  Only time will tell, but obviously in gray there is strength!

Balance is something you don’t hear discussed too often as a side effect, but it has been a problem for me since my very first treatment.  I try to do some Yoga, but I think I spend more time in Child’s Pose than anything else.  The closer I am to the ground, the safer I feel!  It actually got so bad last year that I had an MRI of the brain to rule out other causes.  I think the Doctor enjoyed giving me the results – “...scanned the brain, found nothing!”

Retention – of anything in my brain – is a real test.  This side effect only seems to affect me within the first three or four days after treatment.  Supermarkets are particularly difficult, as are recipes.  Normally, I can run through a supermarket, with my list in hand, like an Iron Man Shopper.  During this period, I can’t remember more than 1 item at a time and I have little or no idea where that item might be found – this in a supermarket where I’ve shopped for eighteen years.  Recipes take five times longer to make when you have to keep referring back to it to see what comes next.  Then, it leaves as quickly as it arrived – Thank God!  My husband has gently suggested that I don’t bake during this time.  YUK!

Aphasia – in a mild form, yet it’s still there.  This seems to pop up around day four and makes me sound like a complete moron.  I’m usually relatively articulate, thanks to twelve years of nuns who drilled vocabulary into my brain, but all that flies off on the wind on day four.  I’m lucky if I can string five words together into a sentence – no words being over three or four letters.  This is not my day to play Words With Friends! On top of this comes my personal form of Tourette’s Syndrome.  When I open my mouth, I’m never sure what will come out.  Fortunately the words are G rated, but not they’re not the right words. 
 “Honey, look at that gorgeous fish that just flew by!”
“What just flew by?” 
“That beautiful fish!  Didn’t you see it?”
“A fish just flew by?”
“A fish? – no, a bird!  How could a fish fly? Oh, I just said fish, didn’t I?”
Words just appear out of the blue – never fitting the situation, but good for a laugh.  This goes away relatively quickly – again, Thank God!

Raw nerves, right on the surface – I guess this could come under mood swings, which are very common, but sometimes the visceral, primal nature of it really surprises me.  You’re all familiar with my “performance” at the car dealership, but there was a near miss at a Home Depot recently.  I thought I was over that side effect until the next treatment, but I found myself in Home Depot, simply putting my empty cart out of the way, against the wall, behind the bank of registers.  A cashier took issue with my placement of the cart and she felt the need to tell me and show me, in detail, where the cart should have been placed.  Only for the grace of God and the fact that my husband was dragging me out of the store, I would have told her the PERFECT place to put the cart! 

Putting chemotherapy drugs into a human body is like putting regular gasoline into a BMW.  Nothing will work right!  Thank God our bodies are more resilient and soon will be back to normal – whatever that may be!

SURVIVAL TIPS FOR TODAY: Try to identify when your side effects appear and try to work around them.  Sometimes a long walk helps; sometimes duct tape over the mouth does the trick.  Try to laugh about it.  Just remember: it’s not FOREVER, it"s not YOU, it’s the DRUG!  You’re PERFECT! 

2 comments:

  1. Radiation treatment is a therapy used for the cancer by ruining the cancer cells. The individual going through this therapy has to go through emotional and physical stress.

    Online Pharmacy No Prescription

    ReplyDelete
  2. Side Effects. Sounds like a grand title for something. Could be about marriage, child-rearing, divorce, illness itself, and even drugs of every nature. Absolutely wonderful that you meet the challenges with a large dose (sorry!) of humor, the best therapy of all.

    ReplyDelete