Saturday, April 21, 2012

Choosing Your Team


On Thursday, I completed Treatment #4 of a planned 6 and all went well.  My cancer antigen level has dropped significantly which is a wonderful thing!  We actually made 4 trips this week between labs, doctor’s appointment, chemo, and a follow-up injection – more than the normal routine.  It got us talking about how comfortable I am with these people and how essential they all are in my healing process.  My husband commented that it made him feel so much better seeing me come out of the office laughing and smiling.  Choosing your medical team is so important on so many levels.

The doctor-patient relationship has changed over the years.  We used to be willing to go along with whatever our doctor recommended – after all, he or she was the “DOCTOR!”  Patients are becoming more pro-active, more questioning, more an equal partner in their treatment.  It is critical that, once you settle on a treatment plan, you feel confident in the physician’s skill and their ability to treat your cancer. 

Second opinions can be extremely helpful, both clinically and psychologically.  They can also be had at any time before or during your treatment.  Sometimes you may have concerns about a recommended treatment – other times you may just want to hear it confirmed from another physician.  Before beginning this most recent treatment, my own oncologist suggested that I talk to the doctors at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa to get their opinion.  I resisted at first, feeling it wasn’t necessary, but we did go.  It was an incredible comfort to hear one of their all-star oncologists tell us that he would have recommended the same treatments since day one and would definitely recommend the one scheduled to begin.  Cancer feeds on anguish and pain and fear.  But when you have your chosen team of medical professionals in place, your fear is lessened, the pain is eased, and the anguish is shared.  You need to feel SAFE in their care. 

I have been blessed with a phenomenal team for the past 4 years.  They have each played a huge part in my journey.  Their caring ways are overwhelming.  Their compassion is heartwarming.  Their sense of humor is ever-present and so healing. One day when we were discussing a post-surgical incision problem, to describe the area of the pain, I used the example of where the counter would hit me when I was doing dishes.  I left that day with a signed prescription saying that I was “medically unable to do dishes anymore.” It didn’t carry too much weight at home, but the humor behind it was priceless. There is always laughter in that office.  There is always love, more so when I bring cookies, but it’s always there.  Of course I have already told them that if anything happens to me, the secret cookie recipe goes too! 

I can actually call that office any day, any time and I know I will get to speak with someone.  I will get an answer to my question, or I will get a compassionate ear in which to whine.  To a cancer patient who is frightened or just in need of some reassurance – that is invaluable.  In my 67 years, between health issues and my profession, I have spent a lot of time in medical surroundings.  I can honestly say that what I have found is rare – but not impossible.  They are out there!  Find your own special band of angels and let them share your journey. 

When first diagnosed, most of us will head for the Internet.  It’s a wonderful resource and I use it myself all the time – BUT, beware of the source.  There are some truly horrendous stories and myths out there.  Remember, anyone can post anything, even if it’s wrong.  One way to sort out the sites is to determine where the funding is coming from.  Addresses ending in .com (commercial), .org (organization), .edu (education), and .gov (government) are clues to the site’s funding source, audience, and motives.  There are some excellent, reliable, reality check-sites out there to verify information.  A few that I have used are:
American Cancer Society – “Rumors, Myths and Truths” – www.cancer.org/AboutUs/HowWeHelpYou/rumors-myths-and-truths

American Society of Clinical Oncology – “Cancer Myths” -

Quackwatch – “A Special Message for Cancer Patients Seeking ‘Alternative’ Treatments” –

Once you’ve identified your treatment options, go home and weigh the pros and cons of each.  Evaluate chance of recurrence and the potential risk of side effects compared to other treatments.  How will the treatments be evaluated?  What are the chances of cure or remission?  It’s a definite relief once you settle on a plan, but you must know that there will always be uncertainty.  Each of us is different and our cancers are different.  The most important thing is that you gather your information, make your decisions with confidence, and believe that you are making the wisest choice you can at that time.  TYG4e

SURVIVAL TIP FOR TODAY:
Even though my motto remains, “BE PROACTIVE – STAY POSITIVE – STAY STRONG!” a “positive-at-all-costs” approach can add an additional burden that you don’t need.  Everyone reacts differently to cancer.  This is your journey and you have no obligation to please others by the way you cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment