Wednesday, February 13, 2013

CHEMO AND CHILDBIRTH??



I’m starting to see a definite link between Chemo and childbirth.  What? you say!  Have the drugs gone directly to her brain this time?  Probably.  But I think I’ve found a very supportable theory.  Remember how I preach about keeping a journal during your treatments?  This way you can refer back and see if you’ve had that reaction before; how you treated certain side effects and what, if anything, was successful; keeping track of when you got what type of pain and about how long before you were back to “normal.” 

Might as well handle that issue right now – you will never be “normal” again.  You’ll probably be better than “normal,” stronger than “normal,” tougher than “normal,” more caring than “normal,” and more resilient than “normal.”   Your faith will never be “normal” again.  You will never look at your family or friends the same way again.  Each day that you’re able to open your eyes and take a breath will be incredibly better than “normal.”  Your life has changed forever.  But back to that journal!

Okay, each time I’m approaching a return to treatments, I re-read the journal.  It gives me a feeling that I’ve developed some sort of control, and you all know how I feel about control.  “Tuesday, not too bad but back pain came back.”  “Friday, only a short walk today, but still beautiful.”  “Sunday, probably shouldn’t have taken that Advil for the knee pain with a glass of wine – both came up, but I was able to eat dinner later.  It’s all good!”  “Monday, slept great – once the drug got out of my system.” 

Having gone through a similar week this time, it should have read: “Tuesday, OH cr#%p that hurts!”   “Friday, upper back pain, shortness of breath, and calf cramps.  Get out of my way you seagull, I’m trying to make it to the ramp.”  “Sunday, NO ADVIL, I’d rather deal with the pain.  NSAIDS are supposed to help with the Neulasta pain.  Yeah, right!  To whomever conducted that study – it only works if it stays down.  And by the way, doesn’t matter a wit about the wine.  Those pills don’t stay down with or without alcohol.”  That does pass.  Eventually I begin tolerating NSAIDS again – just not when I need them most – after the Neulasta shot.  “Monday, finally got an hour or two of sleep after spending the night in my new tiled bedroom, the one with the throne, with a trash can on my lap.”

That sounds horrible.  Well, actually, it was – BUT, it’s only a few days.  Then it really does go away.  Until the next time.  All week, I found myself saying, “Oh cr#%p, I forgot about this part – or “Wow, I forgot how that can hurt.”  

Okay, that brings me to the childbirth issue.  Anyone out there who has ever given birth knows that if we remembered exactly how labor felt – with great clarity and honesty – NO ONE would ever have a second child.  So, for the sake of the continuity of mankind, no journaling, no scales, no gruesome details in writing.  Not that I really think there’s much chance of that.  Once that little bundle is placed in your arms, all thoughts of pain go away (that comes back when they’re teenagers).  New Moms are much too busy to write anything down.  But chemo patients need to.  You really do need to know what’s coming so you can deal with it. 

It finally dawned on me that what was necessary was clearer, longer, and more accurate entries.  Use of the 0-10 scale would be useful.  I know you’ve all heard it; “How is your pain right now on a scale of 0-10, 0 being none and 10 being the worst you’ve ever had.”  It would make everything much clearer.  “Tuesday, Oh cr#%p, that was a 12 – reduced later in the day to an 8. Heating pad helped.”  “Friday, this walk started out as a 10 on the enjoyable scale but has slid its way down to a minus 4.  Get out of my way bird.”  You get the idea.  Clarity and detail are what your journal needs – not quick quips. 

I’m not trying to scare anyone, especially me, but honesty really is better.  Most of that stuff really will come back, to varying degrees, and depending on whether you found a coping mechanism for it the last time.  My new journal is a little grittier, filled with numbers on a scale, and – let’s face it- honest!  Honesty really is the best policy and preparedness the best management strategy.   But today is better, and each day for the next 2 weeks will get better.  And, yes, then I'll start over again.  I need to remind myself often that there is a long-term purpose to this - remission.  A nice long remission will help me forget - see, like childbirth!

Maybe if someone placed a warm, cuddly bundle in our laps at the end of each session, it would help.  Nevermind!  I’m too old for the warm, cuddly bundle unless it’s got 4 legs and fur – or young parents whom I can return it to when I’m done having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment