Wednesday, February 6, 2013

POSITIVE THOUGHTS



Well, yesterday’s treatment went very well.  It was a long day, but we knew that going in.  For some reason – probably for a lot of reasons – I was extremely relaxed and calm.  Deep down, I really believe that this cycle will be the one that gives me a nice long remission.  I hope I’m right, but I feel very positive about it.  I’ve been trying to practice my yoga breathing and some stress relieving meditations as well as visualization.  Trying to concentrate on all that is probably why I forgot to worry about the chemo dripping into my port. 

There really was a lot of comfort and well-being about being in familiar surroundings – the lab techs, the pharmacist, the wonderful oncology nurses, the bright and cheery room, the recliner chairs, and the smiling faces.  Then the topper was when half my Drs. staff came up to visit in the afternoon.  Talk about feeling special and very loved.  My kids were texting me, my friends were sending funny photos, and my resident Guardian Angel was right there next to me. 

When we finally arrived home last night, we were welcomed by a big bowl of homemade chicken soup in the refrigerator and a warm, freshly baked loaf of bread delivered by a new friend.  What a wonderful surprise!

I know that the Moffitt surroundings would have been extremely capable and, I’m sure the people would all have been friendly and caring.  But this was more like home.  After all, I’ve been in and out of there for four and a half years.  And last night, when I climbed into my own bed – and woke up this morning without the thought of a 3 hour drive home, I knew we had made the right decision – at least for this time. 

So, today I’ve been goofing off and taking it easy – even though I feel really great.  When all the good meds wear off, that won’t be the case – but it’s wonderful for now!  My pelican patrol boys have been hovering all around our balcony and doing all sorts of aeronautical tricks for us.  Our sparrows and new resident cardinal couples have been checking in, too.  I think they all know what’s going on and they’re glad we’re here, too – not in Tampa.  Actually, I think the little ones are grateful because we’re here to feed them!  The big ones just like to show off for an appreciative audience. 

So, that’s my update for those who care – and I truly can’t believe how many of you do care.  It’s unbelievable when I realize how many of you are out there rooting and praying for me.  You are my support system, my band of angels, my bubble of safety!  Thank you all from the bottom of my heart! 

Sorry about my “for those who care” comment.  But it reminds me of an old Irish proverb:
May those that love us, love us
And those who don’t, May God turn their hearts
But if He can’t turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles
So we’ll know them by their limping!

1 comment:

  1. So you have cardinals. Aren't they a beautiful sight? I could watch them for hours. We have a pair of bluebirds this winter, and yesterday in the tall hedges I heard a phoebe for the first time in years.
    I love the Irish proverb, and send you all my best wishes.
    P.S. Bet the nurses think you're a joy, too.

    ReplyDelete